Published articles are available for download here.
The Canon of Grassroots Advocacy Programs
Over 20 years of experience in leading and researching the characteristics of high-performing grassroots programs gives Amy special insights into what makes for a high-performing advocacy program. The principles in the canon are not based on grassroots campaigns, but grassroots programs. A grassroots program is a system that is tightly woven into the fabric and culture of an organization. It’s not a “fire alarm” tactic, only resurrected when critical legislative issues arise. Because grassroots programs are embedded in an organization’s lifestyle, there are principles for impactful programs and those who lead them.
Get your copy here:
What Does Our Biennial Grassroots Influence Pulse® Research Tell You to Prioritize in 2020?
The Grassroots Influence Pulse (GRIP®) research is a biennial research project that my colleague Dr. Kelton Rhoads and I initiated in 2020 to assess trends in current grassroots influence tactics and most important, legislator responses to those influence tactics. In other words, are the tactics effective?
- Investment of staff time and resources on specific grassroots techniques
- Trends in legislator receptivity
- Which activities lead to improved legislator relationships
- The most admired grassroots organizations
- Associations between time spent and influence results
New findings for 2020 include:
- How grassroots professionals define grassroots success (our profession has work to do here)
- The predictors of legislative success (does a large data base equal grassroots success?)
- Trends in specific legislator behaviors (there is good and bad news)
- Trends in regulator influence tactics
Whether positive or negative messages prevail in advocacy messaging
- The effect of research and training on your legislator relationships (yes, it matters)
If you’d like a copy of the report slide deck, please request it here: